COCHRANE – The RCMP have been attending collisions and report poor road conditions in the areas of:
· Highway 1 eastbound from Highway 40 (Kananaskis area) to Calgary
· Highway 1A west of Cochrane
· Highway 1 east of Banff
· Road closure – Highway 93 north from Lake Louise to Saskatchewan River Crossing; south from Lake Louise to BC
· Highway 11 southeast of Bashaw to Range Road 240
· Highway 11 near Sylvan Lake
· QEII Highway near Ponoka continuing to Innisfail
· Olds, Didsbury, Rimbey, Rocky Mountain House, Canmore area highways
· Chestermere and Gliechen area highways
Some vehicles have been involved in collisions and are in the ditch. Other motorists are experiencing lengthy delays as traffic is backed up due to road conditions.
Cochrane RCMP advise motorists travel not recommended on Hwy1 btwn Kananaskis & Calgary, roadways are partly covered snow, slushy, snowing, icy sections, with limited visibility. Drive to condition. (12:06am) #ABRoads #BanffNP #yyctraffic— 511 Alberta (@511Alberta) February 2, 2020
The QEII from Calgary to Ponoka has poor driving conditions as well.
Just after midnight, 511 Alberta tweeted that “QEII from Calgary to north of Ponoka, covered snow/ice with near zero visibility in areas. RCMP attending several MVC and remind drivers to slow down and drive to the road conditions.”
QEII from Calgary to north of Ponoka, covered snow/ice with near zero visibility in areas. RCMP attending several MVC and remind drivers to slow down and drive to the road conditions. (10:22pm) #ABRoads #ABStorm pic.twitter.com/CgbEYDdJTV— 511 Alberta (@511Alberta) February 2, 2020
Roads are described as icy, slushy and there is limited visibility. The RCMP wants to remind drivers to slow down and drive for road conditions. Allow stopping time between yourself and the vehicle in front of you.
Travel is not recommended in these areas if it can be avoided.
-S. Hermann photo