Drumheller downtown (Ken Eckert Wikimedia)
DRUMHELLER – Travel website Expedia.ca recently released its list of the top 20 friendliest Canadian cities and towns, and Drumheller was ranked fifth friendliest town in the country.
Expedia used traveller reviews which associated the words “friendly,” “friendliest,” and “amiable,” among others used between January 2019 and December 2020 to narrow down the list.
“It is an honour for Drumheller to be recognized as number five in the top 20 friendliest communities in Canada, and number one in Alberta,” said Drumheller Mayor Heather Colberg. “All the credit goes to the businesses and residents of our valley. It is great to see a major facet of our community visitation come to fruition, which is ‘To be the cleanest, friendliest, most sought after community in Alberta.’ Thank you again to the people of this great valley.”
While Drumheller was ranked fifth friendliest town in Canada, it was ranked as the number one friendliest town in Alberta with only two other Alberta towns making the list—Banff at number nine and Canmore at number 18.
Radium Hot Springs in B.C. was named the friendliest town in Canada.
20 of the Top Friendliest Towns and Cities in Canada (plus what to do) according to Expedia users include:
- Radium Hot Springs, British Columbia A perfect spot to experience the great outdoors, and for those that enjoy hiking, there are many trails in the area to explore.
- Digby, Nova Scotia Experience the east coast, and grab a bite to eat at a local restaurant.
- Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario Visit this quaint town in Ontario filled with lots of restaurants and wineries for the perfect weekend away.
- Baddeck, Nova Scotia An east coast escape on Cape Breton Island.
- Drumheller, Alberta Visit the dinosaur capital of the world.
- Saint John, New Brunswick Soak in the picturesque views of the Bay of Fundy.
- Gatineau, Quebec Take in the sites and landscape of this western Quebec city that neighbours Ottawa, and is close to many trails.
- Thunder Bay, Ontario Calling all outdoor enthusiasts! Thunder Bay is full of adventure and activities all year long.
- Banff, Alberta Explore Banff National Park through a guided walking tour.
- Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island Stay in a quaint inn in PEI.
- Whistler, British Columbia For those that love biking tours, Whistler has plenty of options.
- Osoyoos, British Columbia A peaceful escape surrounded by nature and many local wineries.
- La Malbaie, Quebec Relax in the stunning region of Charlevoix.
- Nanaimo, British Columbia A place to take in and feel that fresh ocean air.
- Mont-Tremblant, Quebec Stroll through the pedestrian village at the base of Mont Tremblant.
- St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador Full of history and charm, a must-see when visiting the province.
- Gananoque, Ontario A jumping off point to experience the 1000 islands.
- Canmore, Alberta Stay in the mountains and take in the breathtaking views.
- Stratford, Ontario A relaxing escape for those looking for some creative inspiration.
- Fernie, British Columbia Adventure in the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
By Lacie Nairn, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter/The Drumheller Mail